Jurisdiction Spotlight: Malta (revisited)

Home Forums STREBER Weekly articles Jurisdiction Spotlight: Malta (revisited)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Caliosso 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Streber
    Keymaster

Bob
    Participant

AWWW you don’t know how much Malta is tempting me!
    Maybe you could add the requirements for the non-dom to the article. Or it would need a different article as you did with the UK non-dom?
    I know them, just saying.

Or maybe… just be quiet about it…

Malta is small, dirty, corrupted, always windy, roads have more holes than swiss cheese, too much humidity, summer too hot, houses aren’t insulated properly for that climate, drivers are crazy etc

Part of that is true, but also saying it because I want a mansion there… too many moving there and house prices are raising too much 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Bob.

Streber
    Keymaster

AWWW you don’t know how much Malta is tempting me!

Haha – sorry to torture you!

Maybe you could add the requirements for the non-dom to the article. Or it would need a different article as you did with the UK non-dom?

I touch on what defines domicile in the beginning of the article and make references back to it. Going more in-depth than that is probably more than that would probably take me too close to that grey zone of tax advice which I try to avoid like the plague.

Malta is small, dirty, corrupted, always windy, roads have more holes than swiss cheese, too much humidity, summer too hot, houses aren’t insulated properly for that climate, drivers are crazy etc

Part of that is true, but also saying it because I want a mansion there… too many moving there and house prices are raising too much 🙂

Malta definitely isn’t for everyone. It has everything you see in post cards and stock photos, but there is also a lot more and not all of it is picturesque.

Small – yes, I know many who wouldn’t be able to stay sane in Malta if they weren’t able to take frequent trips abroad to see something else (mountains, nature, snow, large cities).
    Dirty – yes, it’s sad how empty lots are often used to dump bulky refuse and abandon cars.
    Corrupted – yes, but in Malta’s defense it’s on a fairly trivial scale. It’s nepotism rather than wealthy people buying their way out of court or bribing judges and politicions.
    Always windy – I think you mean, there is always a pleasant breeze sweeping in from the ocean. 😉
    Roads have more holes than Swiss cheese – yes.
    Too much humidity – yes, but subjective.
    Summer too hot – only tourists go outside during the warmest hours anyway!
    Houses aren’t insulated – something you’re thankful for when it’s over 40 degrees outside. Winters get cold inside!
    Drivers are crazy – absolutely insane.

NewLife
    Participant

On the design side of things, we seem to have two, separate discussions: the discussion under your blog post is different than the discussion in the forum topic related to said blog post. Which is a little odd: most online spaces, when having separate articles/blog posts and forums, they merge the discussions under the article/blog post to the forum discussion of the same post, so they are one and the same. Can you still follow? 😉

OK, let’s cut to the chase! You seem to have missed the fun part. Quote from the site of a Maltese law firm I’ve found on Google:

Maltese tax law deems an individual non-dom resident in Malta on the basis of either spending more than 183 days in Malta or on circumstances demonstrated by the tax payer that support an intention to reside accordingly.

Did you folks get this? You don’t actually need to spend 183 days in Malta per year to be deemed resident. You only need the intention to do so!

Anyways, thanks for the update!

Bob
    Participant

Usually it’s easier than many think.
    Just pay one year of rent in Malta and move there = Then ask for the id card= BOOM. DONE. Non-dom RESIDENT!
    (a friend did this way just to be 100% safe, renting the whole year in advance = “the intention“. Go and inspect the house before signing such a long contract, it’s full of lemons/scams…)

As long as there isn’t another country trying to grab you by the balls, it’s easy.
    Bad things start to happen when, while you are resident in malta, you come back to the previous country and stay there close to those 183 days.
    In that case the other country will surely try to have its slice of taxes, especially if you move money.
    Then you would have to prove everything day by day (rent, utility bills, flight tickets etc).

Remember these days all of your movements by flights or boats are tracked, so you can’t cheat.
    Malta is an island too, it’s not like you can get there on a raft without documents, like the Libyans refugees…

As long as you’re not running away from justice or tax man, or something triggers them (e.g. a bank account moving lots of money while you should be away…), they will not bother to count the days.

You can also keep your house in your previous country. As long as everything is marked as “foreigner” (utility bills, local taxes etc) and you don’t run any serious business there.

This is so much harder for sole traders/micro-entrepreneurs. If you’re an employee, I think countries don’t care that much.

Caliosso
    Participant

Hi,

Establishing tax residency in malta is interesting, especicially for non eu residents.
    What about the eu residents? is there any malta program for them cheaper than the 1.2 million euros ?

Is the 1.2 million euros program useful for digital nomads? ie does the program force you to stay in malta some time (days, weeks, months) per year?

I don’t see any other country in the world proposing citizenship, maybe compliant with digital nomad habits, no income tax (good for traders for examples) and being admitted on all sport trading platforms.
    If someone know just one other juridiction having these advantages, tell me, i’m curious because afaik, that’s the only one solution in this solar system., maybe hubble, bubble or whatever will find somefind else in milkyway or andromede

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar